Green wood properties modification induced by medium temperatures heat treatment
LaBoMaP / A&M ParisTech will organize a training school (TS) next spring in Cluny-France within the framework of Cost Action FP0904
A TS is aimed at:
- Widening the knowledge of the Cost Action activities;
- Providing intensive training on a new and emerging subject;
- Offering familiarization with unique equipment or know how in one of the laboratories of the Action.
Training Schools are not intended to provide general training or education. Those attending a Training School are typically – but not exclusively – young researchers from across Europe.
Financial support obtained from COST for trainees
For travel cost maximum of 700€ per trainee will be granted.
The aim of this TS is to give a basic shared knowledge on "Medium temperature treatment" meaning 50-100°C, a range commonly used before peeling, slicing or forming processes. The program consists of conferences given by researchers, visit of companies and practical sessions.
1/ Thursday 29 March 2012 : 6 short lectures (1 hour each)
- Conventional processes (steaming, soaking) used in industry to heat green wood and the wanted effects
- Mechanical modification (Hygro-thermal recovery, splitting, transverse deformability, strengths, ...)
- Physical modification (Tg evolution of wood components, surface energy/wetability, impregnation, ...)
- Chemical modification (color changes, washing-out of extractives/durability, ...)
- Influences of heating process parameters on by-products quality
- Alternative ways and technologies to reduce the unwanted effects (HF, UHF, IR / volumetric vs. surfacic methods)
The training team will be composed of Anna Dupleix (A&M ParisTech / Aalto University), Joseph Gril (University of Montpellier), Remy Marchal (A&M ParisTech), Peter Meinlschmidt (Fraunhofer Wilhelm-Klauditz-Institut I), Martino Negri (IVALSA), Anti Rohumaa (Aalto University)
2/ Friday30 March 2012 : visit of 2 companies
- Jura Placages (decorative sliced veneer production)
- Hess (beech plywood production)
3/ Saturday 31 March 2012 : 5 lab sessions (5 groups of 3 trainees)
- peeling, slicing and bending tests
- heart check propagation
- large deformation
- surface modification characterization
- alternative technologies
- Number of trainees: 15
- The interested researchers, please send a small résumé of your present activities and a CV (all about ½ page) with an informal application to Professor Rémy MARCHAL or Ms. Anna DUPLEIX not later than February 17, 2012.
- Accommodation: into A&M ParisTech residence
Information and programme: